Chilly Egg Idli is basically cooked eggs in an idli skillet and then served with spicy masala. It’s a healthy and delicious dish to prepare for breakfast. Here’s how to cook it.
It is now a popular dish across the globe in the field of South Indian cuisine along with other cuisines like Sambar, Dosa and Coconut Chutney.
This time I wanted to create something new using the Idli moulds. I was also wondering whether I can create something with eggs.
Egg is a versatile ingredient that is delicious in any shape!
So I took them out of the fridge and began creating the Egg Idli.
To my delight, it came out absolutely amazing, and then to add some flavor and the South Indian touch, I mixed it with some spices.
This recipe turned out be so popular in our home, that the plate was completely clean in just a few minutes. my family was amazed to discover how inventive it was.
It’s not like you’re that you can cook your eggs in an idli-pan, is it?
This is certainly a great and simple recipe that could be incorporated into your daily breakfast menus.
You can make it for snacks, or take it in when hunger is on the rise.
Make the most of Idli Moulds more often, and prepare these delicious Egg dish in just a few minutes.
When you’ve tried it do not forget to share your recipe with me.
If you’re looking for other Egg Breakfast recipes Here are some of them: Egg Bhurji, Healthful Spinach Egg White Muffins, Egg Dosa Egg White Scramble, Akuri and the perfect Scrambled Eggs.
Table of Contents
What is Chilli Egg Idli?
It’s a tasty breakfast that is a fusion of eggs, steam-cooked in an idli mold together with salt and spice, later tempered with curry leaves, mustard seeds dry red chillies, red chilli powder, and turmeric powder.
After the eggs have been steamed they are revealed as tiny perfect egg-shaped Idli Omelettes that is served by itself without tempering.
You’ll need just 30 mins to prepare this breakfast dish, which makes it the perfect everyday breakfast.
If you’d like, you could include vegetables too, simply chop finely the vegetables of your choice into the egg batter while cooking them.
You can also include your typical Idli Podi to give the spice.
I prefer it to be simple steaming eggs, which is why I just add the black pepper and salt to the eggs.
Serve it as a stand-alone for breakfast or as a tea time snack, along with a coffee or Adrak Wali Chai or South Indian Filter Coffee.
Mini Idlis 15 (You could also use the normal 8 Idlis, too.)
Hard Boiled Eggs – 2
Onion 1 (thinly cut)
Ginger 1″ Piece (sliced/finely chopped)
Garlic Three cloves (sliced/finely chopped)
Green Chillies 2 (thinly cut)
Curry leaves 1 Strand (optional)
Bell Peppers (Red or Green Capsicum) 1/2 (thinly cut)
Hot sauce – 1 tblsp
Schezwan Sauce – 1 tblsp
Tomato Ketchup – 1 tblsp
Green Onionsor Cilantro (finely cut) to garnish
Oil 1 tblsp
Method To Make Chilli Egg Idli
1. Cut the idlis to the desired size. I typically cut the mini idlis in two halves and the large Idlis into 4 pieces.
2. Remove the yolk from the eggs that have been hardboiled and chop the eggs’ whites into small pieces lengthwise. Save this for later.
3. The oil can be heated in an kadai, or stir fry pan.
4. Add the garlic, ginger curry leaves, green chillies. Stir for 30 seconds.
5. Add the bell peppers to the pan and cook until they are tender for five minutes. The onions and bell peppers need to be cooked, but retain their crunch.
6. Mix in the tomato sauce, hot sauce, and the schezwan sauce, and mix it all together.
7. Incorporate the idli pieces in the dish and mix well until the sauce is evenly coated with pieces of idli.
8. Then, mix in the egg white slices, as well as green onions. Serve hot for a quick dinner snack, or tiffin dish as an appetizer.
It is also possible to mix fry the pieces or cook the portions separately until it turns golden brown before you make chilli Idlis. These make the idlis fresh and crisp on the outside and provide an entirely different flavor of the meal. It is also possible to make chilli idli plain (100 100 percent vegetarian) by omitting egg slices. You can also make other variations like chilli shrimp idli or chilli fish Idli (toss pieces of fried fish) and also chilli chicken idli.