Fried Eggs can be described as one of the most popular dishes used in many countries across the globe using eggs from chickens. In India it is referred to in the form of Bulls Eye Egg and is the most popular food item that street vendors serve (known by the name of Thattu Kadai) in Tamil. Rice, bread, grits, and toast are used for serving with fried eggs. It can also be served as a complement to any main meal. They are often served as breakfast. In India the moment one shows symptoms of a cold fried egg is served with a lot of powdered pepper.
Fried eggs are cooked until the egg’s whites turn transparent and completely white. The yolks are thin and runny. Like others, the dish may be cooked until the crust is crisp or sprinkled with water to cook it perfectly. It is dependent on your personal preferences. It’s usually not flappable however, some people prefer to flip it too.
Fried eggs or Half-boiled Eggs served with milk to be my breakfast of choice during my school years. It’s a filling and healthy breakfast.
Recipe for Fried Egg
Preparation Time: 1 minute
Cooking Time: 3 minutes
Serves: 1 Person
- Egg – 1
- Salt – one pinch
- Pepper – a pinch
- Oil/Butter – 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation
- The pan should be heated over medium-low temperatures. A non stick pan or cast iron griddle can be used by you. If you have a large pan, you are able to make more than one egg at one time. I used my small non-stick pan to cook one egg at one time.
- Incorporate the butter or oil into the pan.
- After approximately 10-seconds After about 10 seconds, break the egg.
- The eggs that have been cracked should be held approximately two inches away from the hot pan and then break them open. If you’re hesitant to smash it directly into the hot pan then break the eggs in small bowls and then pour it into the pan gently. If you’re using a bigger pan, you can add 3 eggs at a time leaving space between them . Then cook at the same time.
- Sprinkle a little salt or pepper over the the egg’s top. You can sprinkle this on to the eggs while you are serving them.
- Cook till the whites of eggs are completely set. It will take approximately 30 minutes. It is recommended that the yolks are thick and runny. It is possible to cover the yolks with an lid on the bowl to make the process faster.
- Take it off carefully and place it on an eating plate.
- If the same recipe is cooked in the oven at a higher temperature edge of eggs can get crisp and browned. It appears like an egg with a lace and is referred to as Lacy Eggs.
- The recipe above is called Bulls Eye Egg or Half Fry in India. When the egg is turned upside down and then the other side baked, then the egg’s yolk will become hard and set. This is known as Over Hard or Over Well Done eggs or Double Fried Eggs in English. In Hindi, it’s known as Egg Fry Malti Maarke.
Double Fried Egg
- Fried Eggs are generally eaten for breakfast along with a slice of toast in English countries.
- In India It is usually served as a side dish to rice, parotta chapatti, dosa, chapatti appam and so on.