Asparagus is a plant which is native to the European countries. Nowadays, it is getting into Indian market slowly. The delicate shoots can be cooked before being consumed. The shoots are offered in grocery stores in small swathes.
I was acquainted with this food during my time in the US. I’ve already posted the South Indian style Asparagus Poriyal that is made from green asparagus. This time, I discovered the asparagus that is white. I always enjoy making bhurji i.e. a dish where the vegetable is cooked in scrambled eggs that have been baked and then beaten. I cook bhurji with any kind of vegetable. This time, I made the bhurji recipe with white asparagus and the flavor was fantastic.
Recipe for Asparagus Egg Bhurji
The preparation time is 10 minutes
Cooking time is 30 minutes
Serves 4 persons at a time
- Asparagus 1 pack (chopped)
- Eggs – 3 – 4 (beaten)
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Green Chillies – 3-4
- Salt to taste
- Dried Black Pepper – to taste (about 1 teaspoon)
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves 1 Strand
Method of Preparation
- In an oven-proof pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad Dal, and curry leaves.
- After the seeds have popped then add the chopped onions and chillies.
- Once the onions are golden brown then add the chopped asparagus and the salt needed. Sprinkle with water over the top, cover it with a lid, and allow it to cook for about 3-5 minutes. The asparagus will be cooked when you offering some crunch.
- Break the eggs into separate bowls. Beat them with a fork.
- Mix the egg whites with the asparagus that has been cooked. Additionally, add the black pepper that you crushed. Do not stir for another two minutes.
- Then cook everything in a stir-fry for another few minutes. The eggs will become scrambled, along with the vegetables.
Serving Asparagus Bhurji
- Serve this as a dish to serve with chapatti or white rice.
- It is also used as a filling to create wraps or sandwiches.