Egg and potato Avial is an delicacy that is popular across Southern Tamilnadu, known as Nanjilnadu and also in South Kerala, especially Trivandrum. The typical avial is made up of all the vegetables , but this version has only eggs that have been cooked along with potatoes. Sometimes drumsticks are added. Eggs that have been hardboiled are cut into quarters. The potatoes are cut into wedges roughly in the same form. The cooked food is then cooked in a coconut paste. Coconut oil and the coconut paste gives that distinctive southern taste.
For the traditional bird the ingredient used to add bitterness to the avial is included as mango curd, raw mango or tamarind. In this avial , however, it’s not needed. The avial is normally made with no added sugar and tastes fantastic for that reason. If you prefer to taste a bit sour I recommend adding curd in the end. Let’s dive into the recipe.
Recipe for Egg Potato Avial
The preparation time is 15 mins
Cooking time is 20 mins
Serves: 4 people on average
- Hard Boiled Eggs – 4
- Potato – 1 big or 2 small
- Grated Coconut 1.5 cups of Grated Coconut 1.5 cups
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Sambar Onion (Shallots) – 4
- Garlic 3 cloves
- Green Chilies – 6
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cook the eggs until they are hardboiled and peel off the skin. I’ve provided a detailed explanation about boiling eggs hard in this article. Slice each egg in quarters lengthwise and then keep it in the fridge until ready.
- Peel the potatoes, then cut them into wedges. Take the wedges to wash and put it to a pot that is filled with water. Boil and cook for about 5 minutes or till the potato is cooked.
- Use the coconut that has been grated and cumin seeds, turmeric powder and garlic cloves. Add shallots, garlic cloves, shallots and green chilies into a mixie or blender. Mix it up into a coarse powder by adding a small amounts of water.
- The oil is heated in a kadai in which you can pop in the mustard seeds and curry leaves, and dried red chillies. Incorporate the masala ground and cook for one minute.
- Incorporate the potatoes partially cooked add salt to the potatoes and mix it all together. Cook for 3-5 mins.
- Add the egg slices in a way that they sink in the masala. Don’t stir or the eggs could break.
- Lower the temperature to a simmer and cook for a couple of minutes. This will allow each flavor to mix and the masala to thicken.
- This is delicious in its entirety or add 1 cup of yogurt after turning off. This will give it a little acidity and boost the gravy’s amount.
Detailed Steps for Egg Potato Avial
The first step is to boil eggs. To do this, place the eggs into the sauce pan and fill it with water so that they submerge the eggs. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat, and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and then remove the water. Fill the eggs with cold water and let the eggs cool for about 10 minutes. After that, you can peel the shells with ease. Slice each egg in four in length.
Peel off the skins of the potato, then cut them into thin wedges. Then wash the wedges and put it to a pot that is filled with water to cover the wedges. Only a few people prefer to add 5-6 drumsticks to the potato. Boil the water and cook for 5-7 mins until the potatoes are cooked. There should be only a minimal leftover water after cooking. If you have excess water, flush it out.
To prepare the masala use the coconut that has been grated and the turmeric powder and cumin seeds garlic cloves, shallots and green chilies in a mixing jar. Mix it up finely and store it in a container ready to use.
In an adai and pop the seeds of mustard. In addition, fry curry leaves as well as the dry chilies.
Mix the coconut and ground mixture to the cooking pan and cook for one minute.
Incorporate the partially cooked potatoes as well as the salt you require. Then simmer (preceded by covering) for about 3-5 minutes.
Make sure to add the eggs and put them beneath the masala. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for another minute before shutting off. You can also add yogurt in this point and mix.
- The egg and potato dish is consumed with white rice. Specifically it’s great with rasam.
- It is also served with chapatti appam, poori, appam or an adai.